The 30th annual
Spirit Store Rock Canyon Half Marathon is
Saturday, December 3rd, 2016 at 9 a.m.
Results will be posted on the Racing Underground website.
Photos can be found on Volk Photography.
- Beautiful scenery, great looking Long Sleeve Technical Running Shirt and usually great weather have become trademarks of this winter half marathon.
- We cap the event with 750 runners on the 13.1 mile course that takes you up the Arkansas River Trail to just below Lake Pueblo dam and back to City Park.
- Our goal is to offer a quality race at a reasonable cost. No drawings, no cash prizes,no host hotel and no pre-race dinner just an accurate course, beautiful scenery, your finish time and place, music, fun, refreshments (bananas, cookies, doughnuts, Gatorade), finisher's medal, a long sleeve Technical Running Shirt, a digital race photo - all for $45.
- This race will not be cancelled because of the weather so come prepared. Proceeds from this race support seven local high school track teams and the Colorado State University-Pueblo Foundation.
- Like our Rock Canyon Half event page for the latest for updates!
(opens Sept 5th until Dec. 1st at midnight or until 750 registered)
REGISTER ONLINE thru imathlete - starting Monday, September 5th. The only way to register for the Rock Canyon Half Marathon will be online. Registration will close December 1st or when we reach 750 entrants—no exceptions. NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION.
Note that in some cases PayPal does not process your payment immediately (typically when paying with PayPal account or bank check card). Please allow a few days for processing before contacting us.
Entry fee: includes digital photo
- $45 adults if entered by Oct. 16th midnight ($40 Southern Colorado Runner and PPRR members)
- $50 Oct. 17th-Nov. 22 ($45 for SCR and PPRR members)
- $27 youth under 21 yrs, if entered by Nov 22nd midnight
- $65 everyone after Nov. 23rd-Dec. 1st (not guaranteed a shirt)
Packet Pick up: Shirts and bib numbers (with timing chip attached) will be available
- Friday, Dec. 2nd, 2-6 pm at The Spirit Store/Imprinted Sportswear located at 4225 N Elizabeth St, Pueblo, CO or
- Saturday morning, Dec 3rd, 7:00 to 8:30 am before the race: City Park Pavilion, 800 Goodnight Ave
Awards to the top three age groups as follows 19 and under, 20-24, 25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-64,65-69, and 70 and over. Special awards to overall male/female winners and master male/female winners. No duplication of awards. Award ceremony will be held following the conclusion of the race in the City Park Pavilion at approximately 11:00 AM. Although we will use chip timing to determine each individual's time, all places will be determined by gun time - first across the finish line wins!!!!
Start and finish in Pueblo City Park. Pueblo City Park is located on the southwest side of Pueblo off Pueblo Blvd and Thatcher (Hwy 96).
The race will run about 2.25 miles in City Park, then goes down to the Arkansas River Trail. It is basically an out and back course going about 5 miles west to the base of Pueblo Dam and back. It will be run on dirt roads and dirt trails along the Arkansas River with a short distance on concrete and asphalt. No traffic and great views. The course is flat, however, there is one short, steep hill about 12.5 miles into the race, which goes from the river trail back up to City Park. All miles are clearly marked, both on the trail and above ground in case of snow. There are 7 water stops, the first has only water the rest have water and Gatorade. Bring your own gel.
THERE IS LIMITED PARKING SO PLEASE CARPOOL AND PAY ATTENTION TO "NO PARKING" SIGNS.
- North of Pueblo: take exit 101 (Canon City exit) off I-25 and head west on Hwy 50 about 2.5 miles to Pueblo Blvd. Turn left (south) go about 3.6 miles until you cross the Arkansas River. Turn left at the next stoplight (Goodnight).
- South of Pueblo: take Exit 94 (Pueblo Blvd) off I-25 and head West, then North on Pueblo Blvd for about 5 miles. Continue past Thatcher (Hwy 96) then turn right at the next stoplight (Goodnight).
- Once in City Park: traffic is one-way so wind around the zoo to the east side round about. Packet pickup is inside the pavilion (the big building just northwest of the round about/east entrance and fountain) from 7:00 to 8:30. The race begins and ends near the pavilion. Parking is available on the streets within the park, so park wherever you can but watch for "No Parking" signs as some 2011 participants did get ticketed.
***Notice to walkers***:
This is an event for runners (or runners who walk some) and can complete the distance in 3:00 hours or less (14 min/mile) - the race will end at 12:00 pm. Athletes who take longer than that place a hardship on our volunteers who must stay out on the course until all participants have finished. In December, we are not guaranteed nice weather and it is unfair to ask volunteers to stand out in the cold longer than 3 hours. Thank you for understanding.
There will be 7 water stations. The first has only water. All the rest will have water and Gatorade. Located approximately 2, 4, 5.75 , 7.5, 8.25, 9.75 and 11.5 miles (odd distances but we have to put water stops where we can drive a car). The first water stop is in City Park and a good place to drop off clothes if you find you have overdressed. You are welcome to drop off clothing at all water stops but the water stop volunteers will not return to the pavilion until the last runner has gone by. If you throw clothing anywhere else on the course you may not see it again.
We have been blessed with great weather 8 out of the last 10 years but be prepared for anything. Pueblo is located in the "banana belt" of Colorado. When it is snowing all around we tend to remain dry, which is great for runners but bad for lawns. Come prepared for snow and wind then be pleasantly surprised by the great weather we have in December in Pueblo. However, having a run in December is a gamble, we have never cancelled in 28 years and we intend to run this race regardless of the weather.
Click Here to check the weather for Pueblo.
Long Sleeve Technical Running Shirt:
Last year we ran out of shirts. Shirts are assigned as you enter the race, so the sooner you enter the more likely you will receive your shirt on race day. There will be men's and women's sized shirts. Please be sure to select your size accordingly. Entries after November 22nd midnight will not be guaranteed a race shirt.
The Spirit Store is our title sponsor for the 29th annual Rock Canyon Half Marathon!